Monday, February 21, 2011

Politics on President's Day

President's Day seems like a good time to write about my family's history in politics.

It started back in 1987.  My Dad was working as the Georgia state director for Pat Robertson's presidential campaign and was looking for volunteers.  So one day a homeschool mother brought her two daughters up to the headquarters to volunteer.  My Mom was a 19yr homeschool grad/beauty queen (she actually had won several pageants) and Dad was a sharp young politico, and as they say "the rest is history".  They began courting when Dad and my maternal-grandfather "Papa Lyle" where both serving as delegates to the 1988 Republican National Convention in New Orleans, and married 8mo later.

Our family has been heavily involved ever since.  Trivia-If you watch Mike Huckabee's speech after winning the Iowa caucuses you can see yours truly right behind his left shoulder.


Now almost 25 years since the Lord called our family into the political arena my brother at the age of 20 is running for vice-chairman of our local Republican Party. 

I can't begin to say how proud I am of him!  I have looked up to him as long has I can remember (being 6' 4" doesn't hurt) and have always been so thankful that he was my big brother.  I didn't mind being Tonto to his Lone Ranger, the private to his sergeant, or indian to his cowboy, I loved every minute of it!  Now that we are both grown-up our roles haven't really changed that much, I'm the assistant to his businessman, the campaign manager to his candidate, I play the best friend to his hero.  And he really is a hero, he is my hero.

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing to have a brother for a hero, Katie!
    I will be praying for everything. :) (Love you in the video...and I love you out of the video too ;)
    Love ya!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete

Look forward to hearing from y'all, just remember your southern manners.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...